How to Login & Setup your DD-Wrt Routers
If you are willing to improve the performance of your routers, DD-WRT is a wonderful firmware option that will help you in the same. But do you exactly know how to log in and set up it? If not, this guide will lead you great help for you. DD-WRT is a third party firmware option for the router users that comes up with a set of default user names and password options. Usage is somewhat similar to the rooting process of an android Smartphone. DD-WRT is a higher level upgrade that offers advanced level controls to improve stock firmware. So get started with this open-source firmware for your router and enjoy some extra features that you surely never had before.
How to log in and set up your DD-WRT?
We are here going to provide you two different ddwrt login processes for the same. You can either use the GUI method or can go with the Telnet solution depending upon your preferences.
Solution 1: Using GUI Method
- Launch your web browser and then search for the router’s default IP address i.e. 192.168.1.1 in the search bar.
- A login window will open up on your home screen. You have to add your User Name and Password in the dedicated columns. If you already have changed your login credentials you can go with those, and if not you can use the default username and password for your DD-WRT Router and that is:
- Default Username: root
- Default Password: admin
- Once done, you will be lead towards the default gateway option where you can easily configure the settings accordingly.
Solution 2: Using Telnet method
- Go to the Start menu of your PC and then type cmd here to launch command prompt on your Windows.
- Now add “telnet” in the provided box and hit Enter.
- You will be now asked to add your login details here. Just add your default username i.e. “root” and default dd wrt password i.e. “admin” here. The password option is case sensitive and hence be strict with that.
- Once done with the above process successfully, you will be now free to access the default gateway for your DD-WRT router.
How to secure a DD-WRT Router?
If you are willing to secure your DD-WRT router from third party access, here is the step by step procedure for you. All you have to do is to configure some changes like changing of default SSID settings, username, and password of your router. Moreover, you can also set the encryption settings of your router to WPA2-PSK. Make sure that you are using the updated version of the firmware to make it easy happening.